Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hancrafting your own jewelry


The world of jewelry can be overwhelming at first.  You walk down the aisles of your local craft stores to find beads and findings galore!  It can be a bit daunting.  But have no fear.  Getting started is simple and all you really need are some important tools and your imagination.

Let's start with the tools.
The most basic tools, and those that I use the most, are some "snips", pliers, and a magnifying glass.  It's best to set up your area ahead of time so that you have a clear space to create and leave your items unattended to return later.  Using a bright light is also, very helpful.  I use a lighted magnifying glass on a long arm.  It moves into place when I need it and helps me to make fine connections and when gluing or fusing.



The SNIPS are best found at any hardware store.  They are used for cutting wire and metal.  I use a small set that I can manipulate in my hand.  Too big and they become cumbersome.  Too small and they wear down easily making it difficult to cut thicker items.


The PLIERS are also in hardware stores and craft stores.  The craft suppliers have a range of prices from sets of pliers to individual.  I typically use two pairs at a time, one in each hand.  So the best are "Needle nose pliers".  Get a fairly good quality pair as the lesser expensive ones tend to break or become sticky to open and close.
Finally, the MAGNIFYING GLASS I use has a light, as I mentioned.  I can look through it easily and move it out of the way without effort.  I use it for light as well as up close items so it is handy to have.  The style with an attachment to clamp to your work station is convenient because it has a long arm and doesn't use room on your desk area.  You might try a drafting store or even online for this item.  Most craft stores, do not offer this item.  I got mine from an engineering store.  It was used and the price was outstanding! 




Here are some great sites to help you get started:

http://www.jewelry-making-how-to.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AivtpL-Qps

http://www.jewelry-making-resource.com/how-to-make-jewelry.html




Thanks for visiting.  Please be sure to add your comments and check back.  I will be posting more tips shortly.  Thank you - Donna

For beautiful designs visit: DK Designs Jewelry

No comments:

Post a Comment